The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel was built on the south end of town in 1889 and was a wooden structure. In 1899 it was purchased by John Gascoigne. In 1904 John's brother Robert bought the Royal Hotel from him. Robert, his wife Marie and two sons (Robert Jnr aged 17 and John aged 15) settled in Wyong where they remained for nearly thirty years.
Robert founded the Wyong Sports Club in 1905, established the town band (in which his younger son John played the cornet) and also the Wyong Bowling Club in 1912.
The hotel was rebuilt in brick in 1919. In 1932 Robert retired from the hotel and divided the bulk of his property between his two sons. John was given the ownership of the hotel under a mortgage from his father. The gradual repayment of the mortgage constituted Robert Snr’s income for the rest of his life. He died in 1951 at the age of 90.